Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Fourth World

...held the explanation.
Jeremy found himself standing in an empty bedroom, so normal that he immediately guessed he was in his own world. It was a relief to him, although he quickly felt less relieved when he remembered the baby in his arms.

What on earth was going on? He had asked himself the same question many times last night--was it last night? He had no sense of time anymore--but he could only accept what had happened to him, however unwillingly. He could not imagine why it had, except that he began to suspect it was all being coordinated. So that he could take the baby from the soldiers, he wondered?
At that moment a girl burst through the door.
"You're here!" she cried. "Oh good! Give me that baby!"
"What?" he cried back at her.
"I mean--oh dear. I don't mean her any harm! I have a bottle and such for her..."
"You knew I was coming! You made this happen!"
"No! Not really!"
The baby was, if possible, more disturbed by their shouting match than they were.
"Look what you've done, silly!" said the girl, softer.
"Me?" the sheer injustice of the remark held him silent for a moment. "You arranged for her to be...kidnapped!"
"No--I--saved," she said softly. "Can I explain? I started this all wrong."
"Please."
And then the girl started speaking very quickly and without pause.

"That girl--is the illegitimate daughter of a queen who's husband had been away for 11 months and so knew it very well. She was supposed to be exposed when she was born. But the queen asked the oracle at the temple what could be done, and the oracle said it was not fated for her to die. The lady-in-waiting who took her out of the tower knew this, and she knew that all the streets had been cleared of commoners so no one would save the baby. And therefore, when she saw you, she knew that you must be meant to save the baby."

It took him a moment or two to digest this. During this time the girl, with the confidence of someone who knew, in the end, that what she was planning would happen, took the baby from his shaking limbs.

At last he merely stammered, "I had no idea what was going on!"
"But we did..."
"You?"
"Sorry. We, the worldwalkers. We--we change the course of events in different worlds to make them--more balanced. Better. We've just recruited you. I suppose that's where I should have started."
"I suppose," said Jeffery, "You should have started with introducing yourself and asking me."
She looked sheepishly at her feet. "It's too late for the second one. But as for the first--nice to meet you." She turned her eyes up to him again. "My name's Sydonie."
*****************************************

5 comments:

CeeCee said...

Cool. There was a very good reason for his jumping. OK, so we knew that it was - but he didn't.

Love the green eyes Sydonie! And very nice touch.

lothere said...

*dies* I was all ready to leave a "that was awesome, Sydonie" comment, and then I got to the last line. :-D (It still applies, however.)

I love that Jefferey finally has a chance to direct his outrage at someone. Even more that she happens to be Sydonie.

So... it seems like the story is finally beginning. Tell us more, story-Sydonie! I want to know why he had to skip through several worlds to get to the baby. That is an interesting complication to worldwalking, if such it is.

And, uh... are they going to be taking that baby back to its original world now? Or does part of the balance of worlds involve shuttling people around between them?

This reminds me of those stories I read as a kid that always made me wish it could happen to me. I want a magic cupboard that makes my toy soldiers come alive! I want a closet that leads someplace! I want to be a worldwalker!

Sydonie said...

Thanks, you both. I'm so glad you lie the beginnings of the full plot.
A great many of those questions will be answered in the next post, which I just wrote and so will be up tommorow. :-D

Mao said...

Heeey, you're back! And we get an explanation! Very awesome.

What on Earth are they going to do with that baby? Raise it? Give it to someone else? Poor baby probably has world walking lag.

Verity said...

Hey Sydonie! Good to see your back.

I love that last line too! Very very cool :)

This was really excellent... that we get some explanation of why this is happening to Jefferey... I am really looking forward to getting more info when she explains more to him.

Hehe... worldwalking lag would be hideous Mao :)